My Baby Girl is in Kindergarten and is learning how to Read! It’s amazing how time flies. I remember it was just yesterday she was learning her alphabet. She is my sponge though and I love to see her eyes light up as she tries to read and spell every single word. I never realized how IMPORTANT it is to read to your child. To just turn off the darn TV and read. So here are some tips that I find to promote a reader friendly environment for your child.
- Make an event out of getting your child a library card.
- Use everyday outings such as the grocery store or field trips (museums) as opportunities to read.
- Play word games together. (scrabble jr., boggle jr.)
- Make up stories together and illustrate them.
- Encourage your child to keep a journal.
There are many different ways to encourage your child to read. I’m curious to know what yours are. Please feel free to leave a comment.